Documentary – Feature Length and Television
Eva Orner accepting the AACTA Award for Best Feature Length Documentary for CHASING ASYLUM at the 6th AACTA Awards.
Feature Length Documentary and Documentary Television Program entries
for the 7th AACTA Awards are now open.
ENTRIES & MATERIALS DEADLINE
5pm, Thursday 18 May 2017 – Feature Length Documentary & Documentary Television Program
$780 - Feature Length Documentary & Documentary Television Program
ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS: FEATURE LENGTH DOCUMENTARY
In order to be eligible, a Feature Length Documentary must be:
- An Australian production.
- Completed between 12 May 2016 and 18 May 2017.
- A single self-contained non-fiction film longer than 60 minutes in duration that is a creative treatment of actuality intended primarily for cinema release.
Feature Length Documentaries intended primarily for television broadcast should enter the Documentary Television Program category.
ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS: DOCUMENTARY TELEVISION PROGRAM
In order to be eligible, a Documentary Television Program must:
- Be an Australian production produced for television.
- Have had the first episode of the entered series / season or the full stand-alone program broadcast in Australia for the first time between 14 October 2016 and 20 October 2017.
- Be either:
- A single, self-contained and continuous documentary; or
- A documentary series of a potentially unlimited number of episodes but not less than two episodes.
- Be a creative treatment of actuality other than a news, current affairs, sports coverage, magazine or infotainment program, light entertainment or reality television series. This definition includes programs that consist of the producers setting up a premise or initial situation that is then observed with minimal further intervention by the producers.
- In the case of a single, standalone Documentary Television Program, the entrant must submit the entire production for consideration in all categories.
- In the case of a Documentary Television Program series, the entrant can submit up to two episodes or up to 120 minutes of material (whichever is the shorter) for judging. These episodes will be judged as a single entry for the Best Documentary Television Program Award but as individual entries for all other Awards.
This definition excludes traditional news and current affairs programs (where the primary objective is to inform rather than entertain), Light Entertainment Television Series, Lifestyle Television Program and Reality Television Series.
MEMBERSHIP & ENTRY
Any production entered into the AACTA Awards (or AFI Awards) for a previous year is ineligible.
Late entries will not be accepted.
In order to be eligible to enter the Feature Length Documentary and Documentary Television Program categories, a minimum of four Award candidates listed on the form must be current AACTA members. In the event that less than four Award candidates are listed on the form, then all Award candidates listed must be current AACTA members. In the event that fewer than four Award candidates qualify for AACTA membership, then AFI membership will be counted as “AACTA membership” for the purposes of this rule.
Please refer to the 7th AACTA Awards Rule Book for details of all Rules and Regulations.
RULES & SUPPORTING DOCUMENT